Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lync Server Management Shell displays a black screen and does not load

I recently received a call from a client about an issue they had with their Lync Server Management Shell over at their DR location where their Windows Server 2012 R2 Lync Server 2013 Standard DR pool was deployed. What would happen is that an administrator would attempt to start the Lync Server Management Shell and while the window opens, the shell never actually loads:

image

The first thought I had in mind was an issue I had a while ago where there was something wrong with the shortcut so I asked them to check one of my previous blog posts:

Lync Server Management Shell 2013 does not load and hangs with a black screen on a Windows Server 2012 R2 server

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2014/10/lync-server-management-shell-2013-does.html

After verifying that the shortcut’s Target was set correctly, I asked them to check what version of Lync Server 2013 they were running and the response I received was that they had forgotten to patch the DR server and that it was still running the RTM version:

image

Not really knowing whether patching would fix the issue, I went ahead and asked them to do it anyways just in case it did:

image

I was told a short while later that the patch did indeed fix the issue and that the Lync Server Management Shell now loaded properly. Although I can’t really confirm it, I think the issue was probably due to the shortcut but the patch probably fixed it.

1 comment:

Yanz Ltd said...

Great to share issue of server management shell.